This autumn, Ryan and I spent two and a half weeks road tripping through Italy to celebrate our five-year wedding anniversary. As an Amalfi Coast wedding photographer, the five days spent in Positano staying at the iconic Le Sirenuse (as featured in the 90’s classic ‘Only You’) were nothing short of magical. Our time was alternated between lounging by the pool and exploring the Amalfi Coast by car and boat. Scroll down to see more of this dream destination as well as a mini travel guide for your next trip.
Planning your destination wedding in Italy and looking for your perfect Amalfi Coast wedding photographer? Contact me!
- Le Sirenuse: We first visited Positano in college on a backpackers budget, and I knew that when we went back there was nowhere else I’d rather stay than at the iconic Le Sirenuse. This storied hotel, opened in the 1950’s, is an international destination on its own. With exquisite rooms that feature stunning views and priceless antiques, a gorgeous pool, incredible cuisine, and a prime location in the center of Positano, Le Sirenuse is the place to ‘see and be seen’ and is where I will forever stay on future trips to Positano.
- Il San Pietro: Another luxury hotel favorite, this gorgeous hotel is located just a few minutes outside of Positano and thus is perfect for honeymooners or if you are wanting a quieter experience (we stayed at Le Sirenuse in October which was perfect, but I have heard stories about Positano being filled with tourists from June – August…so take note). We considered extending our Amalfi Coast stay to spend a few days here, but alas, we didn’t have enough time on this visit.
- Boat the Coast: There is simply no better way to explore the Amalfi Coast by boat. On our first trip, we joined in on a ride with 3 other couples who we met which was fun and a great way to save on costs. But, for this trip, we chartered a private (and gorgeous) wood speedboat which we spent the day exploring the coastline from Positano to Capri. If budget allows, I would highly recommend this as it’s incredible to have the freedom to explore the coast at your leisure, connect your iPhone to the speakers, sip champagne, and swim at your heart’s content.
- Road Trip to Ravello: Yes, the roads are harrowing, but the views make a road trip along the Amalfi Coast an absolute must. We rented a cute Mercedes convertible and it made driving that much more of an adventure. We drove to beautiful Ravello (a destination in itself) where we visited the exquisite gardens of Villa Cimbrone, admired the stunning views, and enjoyed incredible pizza in a lovely courtyard garden. After, we drove to Amalfi where we spent a few hours strolling on the beach and touring the beautiful cathedral.
- La Sponda: If you only eat at one restaurant in Positano it absolutely must be La Sponda. Be sure to make your reservations early, as this is the hottest table on the Amalfi Coast and it absolutely lives up to the hype. With stunning views, the vine-adorned restaurant is illuminated by hundreds of flickering candles that take the team hours to light each and every night. The food is incredible, but the real stars of the show are the musicians who sing classic Italian music and have been playing at La Sponda for over thirty years. They serenaded us for our wedding anniversary and, serendipitously, chose Elvis Presley’s ‘Can’t Help Falling in Love’, which was the song that I walked down the aisle to on our wedding day. Needless to say I was an absolute puddle of happy tears!
- Da Adolfo: An amazing casual beach bar which captures the essence of ‘La Dolce Vita’.
- Zass: A true gastronomic experience at its finest, this beautiful restaurant at Il Sant Pietro hotel is a perfect place to celebrate a birthday, anniversary, or honeymoon.
- Palazzo Murat: Their Ristorante al Palazzo is situated in a romantic courtyard with postcard views of Positano’s dome.